Thursday, February 25, 2016

Once again, I'm giving blogging another shot. I have tons of crap rolling around in my head at any given time, and staying home with 2 kids all day doesn't exactly give me any opportunity to let it out. My 3 year old does not want to discuss my feelings about the book I just read, oddly enough.

I mainly wanted to get back on the horse to talk about books- which is the whole reason I started the blog in the first place! I take the kids to story hour at our local library every Friday, and have approximately 2.5 seconds to run into the adult room (30 pound carseat and loud toddler in tow) and pick out a book or two for the week. If I don't prepare beforehand, it usually consists of me frantically thinking of at least one author's name I know. I run directly to that section, grab a book and run out before mayhem ensues, so it can be a little hit or miss with what I end up with. Little D does not quite grasp the concept of "quiet" in a library. So recently, it's been Jojo Moyes and Dean Koontz.


I started the Odd Thomas series. This is one of those rare occurrences where I've seen the movie before reading the book (Thanks Netflix!) I was pleasantly surprised that the movie was very similar to the book, and Dean Koontz is always a favorite. I've read several of his series, and the man can write a good story. Odd Thomas is a young man in a small town who sees dead people. He helps them with their unfinished business so that they can cross over. If you like a good supernatural thriller, this is for you. And while I already knew who the bad guy was thanks to the movie, I still think it was pretty unpredictable and will keep you guessing till the end. The next book in the series is Forever Odd, so I will be picking that up at our next library trip.


                                                   

Like everybody else in the world, I saw the trailer for the new movie, Me Before You, and fell instantly in love. The movie looked so good, and I knew it was based on a book, so I knew I had to read it first. When I checked at the library, it was checked out, but they did have One Plus One, by the same author. I had no idea what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised! It's a story about a poor English family, a hard working mother and the lengths she is willing to go to help her mathematically gifted daughter. The ending is fairly predictable, as these types of novels sometimes are. But it was a great read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I did end up getting my hands on Me Before You, and I'll discuss that in the next post. 

I'd definitely recommend either of these books, and am excited to share more of my recent reads with you!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back, mama! I used to be obsessed with Dean Koontz but it's been a long time since I've read any of his books. I'm definitely going to check out Odd Thomas :-)

    ReplyDelete