Sunday, September 8, 2013

review : tear stained beaches

Recently, I was contacted by Courtney Giardina, the author of the new book Tear Stained Beaches. This is Courtney's first novel, and she asked me if I was interested in reviewing it! I said yes, of course, because I never turn down the opportunity to read!




Before I get started, there is one thing you should know about me. I am a girl who likes a happy ending. It drives my husband crazy, because when we watch a movie, I always hate it unless it ends the way I want it to. Personally, I think there is enough bad stuff in real life, in my fictional life I like things to turn out peachy, darn it! 

Which may have a lot to do with my response to this book. The main character, Haylie, suspects that her husband is cheating on her. She tries to ignore it at first, but her intuition keeps telling her something is wrong. She finally goes digging, and finds things she wishes she never saw. In an attempt to clear her head, she leaves home and heads for a small North Carolina beach town for some rest and relaxation. She never imagines that this sleepy little town will bring her face to face with her, and her husband's, demons. And, in an effort not to include spoilers, I will just let you know that I was not a fan of the ending.

While this book does bring up some extremely important points about marriage, fidelity, and self-reliance, I had a hard time getting invested in the story. I almost felt uncomfortable, like an acquaintance I didn't know quite well enough was unloading her marital woes on me. I did however find myself reading faster and faster, because I desperately wanted to know what the twist was going to be. I was definitely on the edge of my seat trying to figure it out! 

If you are interested in a quick, short read, and definitely not looking for a love story, then I would recommend you check out the debut novel from Courtney Giardina, Tear Stained Beaches! You can find it for purchase here!


The book Tear Stained Beaches was provided to me by the author in return for an honest review. All opinions are my own!



No comments:

Post a Comment