Monday, March 4, 2013

easiest DIY ever

Occasionally, I will get a little crafting bug. I generally take to Pinterest with a vengeance to find a project that I can completely botch put my own spin on. Usually it ends up being a hot mess, but sometimes it turns into something really exciting!!

We were cleaning out our garage the other day, and I found these ancient photos of my cheer-leading and swim teams circa 1999 (aw. ful.) Since those suckers were immediately hidden away where no one could ever find them, I decided to steal the frames for a little DIY with some printables!

People, if you are a terrible crafter, printables are the way to go. There's a gazillion to choose from; just Google "free home decor printables". (I found that if you don't specify 'home decor' you end up with a lot of gift tag and schedule printables).

So, here we go. Easiest DIY ever.

1. First, choose your prints. I found these beauties here.


2. Download the files and print! Since this was a little spur of the moment, I just printed them on printer paper. If I had planned ahead, I would have preferred to use card stock, or have them printed up on photo paper, because they weren't as vibrant as I would have liked. But patience is not my virtue. I wanted a craft, and I wanted it now.

3. Spray paint the frames. I used Rust-oleum spray paint in the Gloss Protective Enamel finish, in red. 



 Now, no craft that I attempt is complete without a "blonde moment". Since it was freezing outside, and the baby was napping and I didn't want to go very far, I decided to do the painting in the garage. I did not, however, remember that you should always have proper ventilation when spray painting indoors. The fumes slowly seeped into the house, and we spent the rest of the day in the back bedroom with the door shut so I wouldn't kill everyone's brain cells. 
Oops.

3. Let the frames dry overnight. You reaaallly don't want them to be sticky when you put them on the wall. Obvi.

4. Slap in your printables, and hang those bad boys!! DIY mission complete!

I promise my walls are not this yellow. They're cream, but always show up this awful color in pictures. Ew.

I hung them in my bedroom, and they match so well!! 

A lovely daily reminder.


There you have it! DIY for the craft-impaired!


1 comment:

  1. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video
    to make your point. You definitely know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when you
    could be giving us something enlightening to read?

    Also visit my web blog - how to calculate bmr

    ReplyDelete